“It hit me like a bolt of a thunder, warning me of a storm”,
I wrote this sentence and kept looking at the plain white page. I didn’t know
what to do next. This sentence was my thunder, but where was my storm?
I had my grammar exam the next day. It was an eighty-mark
paper, for which we had half a day to prepare for. I studied physics for 2
hours and my mind was saturated. At around 6 pm I sat down and thought of
writing an essay, because that was what I was going to be graded for the next
day. but I needed music, because – as I said, my mind was saturated; I needed
something to make me feel relaxed. So, I went to the app, amazon music and turned
on the shivi playlist. And then I started. I wrote one word and I stopped, I
stopped because an idea sprouted out of my seed sized brain; from a past few days I kept having thoughts about my childhood and my
earlier years of school– although I’m just 14, it doesn’t mean I don’t have
memorable moments and wonderful memories. So, I thought to myself, “why not
write a poem, a poem on those days”. So I started – “I wish I could go back to
how it was before”. And then I stopped again, I stopped again because I didn’t
get any words or sentences at that moment. but Here comes the twist, I had
another Idea. the idea was, ‘why not write about a dream land and compare it
with the real world?’
I sat back and started writing:
I just want to go back to
how it was before –
When the skies weren’t
grey and the air had the sweet smell of rain;
when the stars spoke, and the moon was visible
with the sun;
when the dark wasn’t scary
and people were awake to see the twilight;
when the flowers spread
love, and the thorns were to protect, not to hurt;
when surprises were happy
and shocks were a temporary disappointment;
when everything was normal
and things didn’t change over days.
then I
stopped again, and I said, “hello, you can’t give up on this, give me ideas,
now!”
I guess
I really needed a berating. My brain’s a bit stubborn and modest.
With
nothing popping up , I concentrated on
the music that was being played. It was a very familiar tune; jeez, it was my
jam!, it’s a shame not recognizing it by the very first resonating beat, it was
“ live while we’re young”, sung by the one direction band, from my favourite
album, “ take me home”.
And
bhoom! Here comes another idea, “why not write about going back to the
dreamland?”
Then, I
let the black ink seep through the clear white pages in the form of beautiful
letters:
take me back to my imagination;
take me back to my dreams;
take me back to the place where the world didn’t bother me;
take me back to when everyone was happy;
take me back to the place when only the nature spoke about
me, and not people;
take me back to the impossible.
There was some sort of relief that I felt
with every word I wrote. With every letter, It felt like an atom of stress
ebbed away into the black. The feeling of writing something after nearly 2
months, gave me the same blissful feeling that I get, when I see the sun weep
orange at the horizon.
Although, I must say, not all my poems
are written in this peculiar ‘ stop - write” process. But this indeed was a
special one.
I guess this was the STORM that my
thunder warned me of.
An awakening from the blue reminded me
that I had an exam tomorrow, and I should probably learn for that, rather than
dawdling my precious time (writing is not dawdling my time, but my brain
wouldn’t understand if I didn’t frame my sentence this way)
To conclude, here’s a quote:
“there is no difference between a
writer’s hand and a writer’s heart”
Very good.
ReplyDeleteYou have it in you the talent. Just enjoy writing.
Good work... I really like how your thought process goes parallel to the poem. A little grammatical error here and there but nothing that cant be corrected. The poem itself is well written and for me, it represents an innocent childhood.
ReplyDeleteAmazing Shivani!You have pure talent. Keep writing
ReplyDelete